Mulholland works with a wide variety of woods in our fencing and gates. Whether you want something simply sturdy to protect your livestock, or something beautiful as well to safeguard your family and property, we’ll have the right wood for your purposes.
We’ll also help you integrate intercom and cameras!
Wood Driveway Gates Los Angeles
You want a wood gate and wood fence that you can be proud of and feel safe behind and that requires minimal maintenance over years and years of service. Wood gates Los Angeles have several requirements to be met in order to stay useful and remain attractive.
Go to any of the online directories or craigslist and you will no doubt find hundreds of people who say that they can fabricate a wood fence and wood gate for you. But how do you know it will be a good job and will last?
The only way to be certain as to either choose a Los Angeles fencing contractor who has an excellent reputation and is licensed and insured or to become fully educated in regards to choosing wood, selecting finishes, fence and gate fabrication and fence and gate installation. And then, to supervise every aspect of the job to see that it’s done correctly.
Of course, the easy solution is to choose an expert. But, even so, it’s still a good idea to learn the basics.
The Right Wood for Your Fence and Gates
Many people want wood gates Los Angeles. People wanting a wood gate will often choose a redwood gate, as they are very weather resistant and insect resistant, as we discuss more in the next tab. We also can use a recycled wood product known as “Trex” which will provide beauty and protection for years, with lower maintenance. Trex and other brands of recycled or reclaimed wood are also better for the environment.
The most common species of wood used for fencing are pine, spruce, cedar and redwood. Of course, they all have their benefits and drawbacks. However, particularly for the varied California climates, redwood is usually the best.
For the initial costs of fabrication and installation, it wouldn’t be your least expensive choice. But over the long run when maintenance is considered, it will be the most economical.
California Redwood Fences, Redwood Gates
Characteristics and Benefits:
- Beautiful and long-lasting
- There are over 30 different grades of redwood for construction purposes. By choosing the right grade for your project, you can get the most beauty and durability without spending money unnecessarily.
- Performance is more than how long the fence and gate will last. You will find in redwood that is has qualities that other woods don’t have. Even wood that has been chemically treated. This includes various natural chemical compounds intrinsic to redwood that prevent insects from devouring the wood or using it for habitat.
- The Redwood Tree as a species amongst the longest living trees in the world. Many of them have been alive for thousands of years. The various characteristics that make these trees so durable are also the same characteristics that make it such a valuable building material.
- Redwood is shrink resistant.
- Redwood is warp resistant.
- Redwood is check resistant (very unlikely to crack).
- Redwood ages nicely. Some think that the natural aging gives it a better appearance. Others prefer the crisp look of recently milled lumber. You can seal new redwood lumber, however it is by no means a permanent seal. In the southern California sun it would need to be done again every two to three years.
- Your fence and gate will be constructed from various grades of redwood heartwood. Redwood heartwood resists decay and insects.
- Redwood has a sort of cellular structure as an organism where there is very little pitch or resins. This means that redwood will easily accept stains and finishes and seals that can change the appearance and even increase the performance and durability of your fence and gate.
But we are happy to make you a wood fence and wood gate out of many different types of wood. Other popular choices include pine, spruce and red cypress.
Wood gates Los Angeles generally need more care than a metal gate. Regular maintenance is required. But the benefit is that wood gives a certain feeling, warmth, and character to your property that is hard to capture with other construction materials.
Through using different finishes and stains, we can give you the look of many different types of wood.
We have even given wood finishes to metal gates! These are very popular because you can get the extreme durability of the metal gate or metal fence and give it a very attractive finish that looks just like wood!